Tuesday October 2nd: Daily Habits that aren't housekeeping

Today I was reflecting on my how my work feels out of control right now. I realised that when it did feel decently managed it was because I had habits to keep it under control. Each night I would write down the three tasks I was going to work on for the next day and then I would blog about it and about what I had got done that day. Then I would prep the material for my work for the next day.

In the morning I would use a little scheduling slip to plan my day. During my lectures classes throughout the day I would update my journal.

Now I didn't stop choosing tasks or prepping work or keeping my journal on hand. But I was doing it passively. I wasn't consciously choosing the tasks and then making sure I remembered them. I wasn't contentiously putting together the sheets of paper that I needed for the next day. And I wasn't doing art in my journal and rewriting every single deadline until I couldn't possibly forget it.

And it seems like this blog is the way to keep myself accountable for such things. Frankly I was hoping it would get popular and that I would get lots of comments and have interesting conversations and get to know other queer house keeping bloggers. That didn't happen. People close to me read it, and that makes me happy. But there is something exciting about strangers. I was hoping I could be like Dana K White and inspire people, but if I can't inspire other people at least I'll keep on top of my own things.
Mossy gall on a local rose tree in the rain. It's fall!

What did I do today?

Latin. I'm reading Propertius now.

Practicum work.

Helped a very beginner first year with grammar. It was fun. I was joined by one of the other latin students from the department, who is an absolute sweetheart. She and I both did our best to explain what a 'nominative' was. While trying to explain that it was best just to memorise the words and not worry too much about how they worked I was reminded of that myself. It's a good thing to be reminded of.

I also did the dishes with my Wife. I feel  like I know how to do these habits (even if I haven't been doing them) so now it's time to help her build them. I might have learned something from that too. I literally dragged her to her feet. She also has ADD and struggles with executive dysfunction. I forget sometimes that it is as hard for her to do the things she wants to do as it is for me to. But we did it! And we even got the laundry going, so I think we did great.

During quiet time I turned on an episode of my favourite let's player and worked on my journal and scheduling. And now I'm writing. So there's that.

I guess that's it for today.

Tomorrow I'm going to do some preliminary work on my Latin essay, and work on my latin and my greek. I'd like to get the latin prepped tonight if possible. We will see how it goes.

What about you, what helps keep you on track every day?

Comments