Do it now, do it later

I've been reading the "Thief of Time: Philosophical Essays on Procrastination." Since it is philosophy it deals well with justification and belief. For example, when people procrastinate they tend to justify their procrastination. They will argue that they are tired now, or that they will have more time or energy in the future.

I frequently do this. Although I must say it has become less prevalent recently for three reasons: I'm treating my ADHD, I've developed stronger work habits, and I have glasses and therefore fewer headaches. The headaches I get are frequent but somewhat unpredictable. Some days I wouldn't have them and then I would be able to work. Some days I would get home from school and sleep for two hours. This still happens, but it happens less.

This blog is about habits, so I'll talk about a new one I am trying. I think it might fall under the heading of dialectic/cognitive behavioural therapy. It also takes the form of an implementation intention. When x occurs, I will do behaviour y in order to achieve outcome z.

When I catch myself saying, "I'll do it later" I rephrase it to "Do it now, do it later."  I modified it from "do it now or do it later."

There are a 3 of different outcomes that result from this: I take the pressure off myself to finish the entire task today, I form the intention to act tomorrow, and I affirm my intention to act now.

 Often if I'm not doing something it means I'm stuck. So instead of simply procrastinating I do a session of work and then I don't count it. I do research or read an article or write but I don't count it as writing. I put it into the category of 'making a plan' and making a plan isn't working. Sometimes the writing I get done is great and it only needs a little work later. But it helps. I think it is partly because I try to do more at once then I am capable of. I try to finish an entire essay when I really only have enough energy to do a little research. Or I try to do everything at once when I should be taking time to mull over it.

It sounds inefficient, but I get more work done. And if I'm willing to put a task off for tomorrow chances are I really do have a slot tomorrow that I can work on that task and I'm ok with taking two days to finish it. 

But often I am pleasantly surprised an an hour long work block gets reassigned because I actually did all the work in the block I initially counted as 'planning.'

It doesn't always work. Sometimes I don't have time the next day.

So I have an experiment to try: making my excuses worse.

What if instead of saying, "I'll do it tomorrow when I have more energy." I say, "I'll do it tonight while I'm taking a shower." Or "I'll do it while I wash the dishes."

There are very few things I can actually do while I'm doing those tasks. And the things I can do aren't as aversive as the things that need a desk in order to get them done.


Comments