Algorithms; implementation intentions and habit loops.

I've mentioned the psychologist Tim Pychal before, and his use of  implementation intentions but I wanted to provide a discussion of it here and what I mean by 'algorithms' which is a term I sometimes use on this blog.

He also interviewed the author of The Power of Habit.  After hearing the interview I purchased the book on audible and listened through it. Generally I just get books out from the library but this one was missing from our branch. From the Power of Habit I drew on the idea that we have habit loops, which involve an initiating factor, an action, and a reward. I decided to build my own habit algorithms that combine the implementation intention with the habit loop so I combined the idea of a habit or implementation intention (which I see as an intentional form of habit creation) with algorithmic routines, which are systematic habit recipes written out at then memorized

Implementation intention:

When x happens I will do y in order to bring about z.

For example, when I get home I will immediately start dinner so that we can eat at 5pm.

Habit loop:

When the trigger (x) occurs I do behaviour y in order to get reward z.

For example, I smell cookies as I walk past the bakery so I go to the bakery and buy a cookie, thereby receiving a sugar rush.

Algorithm

When I notice the kitchen is messy I will (a) empty the dish washer, (b) load the dishwasher, (c) sweep the floor, and (d) do a ten minute cleanup of the counters.

Reward centre

Because I have ADHD I have difficulty triggering the reward centre of my brain. But I have learned, somewhat accidently, to do it by flailing my hands or jumping up and down. This is often called stimming at it is a symptom of autism, so it may not work for those not on the spectrum. After doing an activity that I want to enforce I intentionally do this in order to trigger my reward centre, hence reinforcing the habit.

Comments