A messy office, a minimalist office

This is a followup from my post yesterday, Defining Minimalism.

While writing the post I took some pictures of my office. The first picture was my office without anything done. I hadn't tidied it that day. There was an empty cup on the ledge and one on the table. There was a felt bear on the ledge that my wife made me, but which does not actually live there. There was also a book and a mug on the table with my computer. So I tidied up. I decided to remove all decorations to generate a minimalist space.
A Messy Office
A Minimalist Office 
The minimalist space still contains a blue book on the ledge, because it has clear use. I considered removing the decorative book end, but the book end prevents it from falling off the shelf so I didn't. The wall looks very empty without the painting.

I think that while minimalism may be an offshoot of simple living that the photographs we see of minimalist homes are generally somewhere in between lifestyle and art. A basement closet used as an office can be simple living, but it doesn't necessarily make good art. 

This is by the way the den closet in our basement suite apartment.

A Tidy Office

Here is a picture of my office as I like to keep it. The picture and the decorations are back. It may still be a mouldy basement but with our possessions scattered through it my wife and I make it a home.


My Office Decorations and Fidget Toys
And here are the nicknacks and decorations themselves. I confess that the second photo could probably count as minimalism. Why? Because I use these. The three objects sitting there are fidget toys. When I feel stressed or need to think I play with them. Each has a different tactile sensation in my hand, and the number three makes me happy. And of course the flower is a quintessential edition to any minimalist living photograph. 

But I still wouldn't call it minimalist. I'd call myself a contentiousness housekeeper.

Comments