June 18th: Laundry, Kitchen cleaning, and new glasses.

What went well:

I got a prescription for glasses.

  1. Well, I did the basic chores. Dishes, sweeping, pickup, and checking the bathroom for clutter. Whenever I look at my list I say "do I really need to check the bathroom?" Not really. Partly it is simply that I took this list from Dana K. White at A Slob Comes Clean. But there is always SOMETHING out of place. It's only one thing. But when there isn't more then one thing I can keep the counter clean. So I do it anyhow.  I also did my weekly chore. Today is kitchen cleaning day. Today my wife and I removed all superfluous art from our cupboards. Now I can actually clean them properly. I'm pretty excited about this.
  2. I had an optometry appointment. I texted my wife afterwards, "appointment complete, glasses ordered, headache acquired, off to buy a cucumber." I'm guessing the headache is a normal part of an eye exam. I'm also very proud of myself for insisting that I did in fact need glasses and that simply increasing the font size on my computer does not solve my problem. My wife suggested that doctors don't realise how much millenials read. I spend so much time with physical texts. Yes, I have an ebook reader. Yes, I read on my computer. But computers suck for reading and ebooks are just not the same. I use my ebook for pleasure reading and generally only read out of copyright things on it. It's really only good for plain text. So I insisted. Now I will have proper reading glasses and hopefully less headaches.
  3. I spent my 'unscheduled time' cleaning up the back courtyard. I've been doing my martial arts in the backyard lately and it is so hot out (30 celsius! That's hot here.) I want to be able to be outside and enjoy the summer. Maybe I'll get a wading pool to sit in. It's so hot!
  4. Very best of all: I worked on my summer projects today. I did my Greek 101. I did my latin, and I did my "2 Daily Language Habits" which still insists on being a project and not a habit. I kept track of the time. And you know what? It took way longer then I expected it would! I started at 2 and finished at about 4pm. I thought it would take 80 minutes. So that was 40 minutes over my estimate. But I did it. I used the pomodoro technique and split it 15 min work / 5 minute stretch and walk around. There was a longer break in there when I couldn't find the text I needed. In any case I've learned that I definitely need 3 + hours next week when I start my final project. 

What didn't go well.


  1.  I didn't finish my laundry. Monday was my day to wash my own clothes. I completely forgot. So many other things were going on!  And this explains why I am attempting to develop this habit. It's are in the washer. They will be ready to dry tonight. I'll finish them tomorrow.  I have other tasks tomorrow and ...I have no clean socks.
  2. When I tried to renew my id I realised I did have the right ID and had an anxiety attack. Embarrassing, exhausting, and not efficient. You can see the story in my earlier post.
  3. I also haven't finished the household laundry that was my task for Saturday. I folded the last of it today, but most of it is dirty by now. Next week is my wife's turn. The only problem? This is next week!

Comments