I'm not on holiday, I'm working at home.

I'm busy. I'm not busy because I have a boss to schedule me at random hours. I'm not busy because I am in a class and have to adhere to the requirements of the class. But I'm still busy. I'm the teacher. I'm the boss. And I think I have as high expectations for myself as a teacher or a boss could.

Yesterday I got started on my summer projects and found that they take about 120 minutes. Next week I'm adding the final project, my Scythia Mapping Project. I plan to give that 40-60 minutes per day. So that means my minimum work is going to be 160-200 minutes. That's 2.6 to 3.3 hours of work per day.  That might seem small to someone in gainful employment, but that doesn't include prep and revision. As a student I usually have three hours of class in a day, and then spend time on top of that doing my preparation and revision.

I also have some big household projects planned, and I've agreed to look after dinners and such since I have more flexibility then my wife.

I looked forward to this holiday during my very busy two weeks.

I told myself. I told my friends. I really thought I was on Holiday. Update, I'm not. I have more liberty, but  that doesn't mean I have more time. It doesn't mean I'm happier. It doesn't mean the work I assign myself is any easier then the work a teacher will assign me. But every single thing I do is directly connected to something deeply meaningful to me. That's the difference. I'm excited for my 2pm to 4pm work session today, because I like my work. Just like I'm excited to write. Just like I'm excited to make the home a better place to be.

So I'm revising my explanation. I'm not on holiday. I'm working from home. Working at home is great. I get to work in my darling little office. It's quiet and it's easy to find a place to take a nap. But I'm not just watching youtube videos all day. I need to remember not to devalue working from home.

To my readers, do you ever have this struggle?

Comments