An attempt at structure

It's past noon and I haven't yet written on my blog. There is a good reason for that, and it isn't procrastination.

My project work time has an end time of 4pm. That means after 4pm it's time to pay attention to my housekeeping, social, and leisure needs. But every day there is a bit of creep, just a little past 4.

So today I decided to try what seems to be the tidy person's approach to work. I started at 8am. I know research has said that you really shouldn't work more then 4 hours a day, so I set aside 8am until 12pm to work.

Hence the lack of a blog post. Usually 9am is the time I sit down to write. I thought I would write during my breaks, but frankly I didn't take any breaks that didn't involve eating or stretching. If I'm sitting down to work I don't really want to sit down when I'm taking a break.

It went quite well. I definitely used the Moaning and Groaning and Getting It Done strategy a few times. So what made it a success? I did it. I had specific goals for today and I completed them by 11:30am. At 11:30am I decided to work a little longer now that I had mostly reviewed my project and figured out where I needed to start. And then my computer froze for the second time while I was running a virtual machine on which to do my XML. I'll tinker with it tomorrow. For today I am done. So I took 15 minutes to tidy up my work area, and now it is lunch.

The only negative ramification is that I get grumpy when I haven't had a chance to write in the morning. I can feel it fading as I write, but up until now I've been grouchy. So more tinkering will be needed to make this timeline work. But for now, it's lunch!

Comments