ADD? No, it's MBD.

Blogging take two. This blog is now called "Messy Brain Dysfunction" and that is what it is going to be about.

Messy Brain Dysfunction is a play on Minor Brain Dysfunction, an old name for Attention Deficit Disorder.

I'm Diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder. And yep, I'm hyperactive too. I run everywhere. I think about everything. But I don't lack attention. I love paying attention. The world fascinates me. Every bit of it is interesting.

When I was little my brother would tease me by calling me "Jesse Messy" and I would shout, "I'm not messy!" But it turns out I am. I was probably 8 at the time, so I didn't have a house to manage and a sick wife to look after, but I think I was messy even then.

I don't just mean "house messy". I am house messy. I mean "everything messy". My brain doesn't seem to file things correctly. I can spell perfectly, and yet I leave the "e" out of manage. I know how to write an essay, but somehow I miss an entire sentence. Sometimes it's my thesis statement.

I've decided to get to the bottom of this Messy Brain Dysfunction by blogging about it. I've been following A Slob Comes Clean. Dana K White is extremely bright, and funny, and I relate to her so much. I found her in February when I googled "how to wash the dishes." Because even though I knew how, I clearly didn't, because they were never done. And she introduced me to habits. Not unthinking habits. As she says, it doesn't ever get natural. But routines that I can run through to keep things in order. So that's what this blog is going to be about. Habits and why my brain is a messy. Maybe if I find the right one I can start organising it.

Currently I am combating my habits by writing what I algorithms. These are sets of routines that I use in any part of my life. I have a Latin Translating Algorithm, and I have a dish washing algorithm and a paper writing Algorithm. I'll share these Algorithms here as I develop and tweak them.

References
A Slob Comes Clean by Dana K White.
The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg 

Comments